2012 experience and movie review

According to the Mayan Calendar, the end of the world will happen soon, to be exact, this statement showed their predictions. The date December 21st, 2012 A.D. (13.0.0.0.0 in the Long Count), represents an extremely close conjunction of the Winter Solstice Sun with the crossing point of the Galactic Equator (Equator of the Milky Way) and the Ecliptic (path of the Sun), what that ancient Mayan recognized as the Sacred Tree. This is an event that has been coming to resonance very slowly over thousands and thousands of years. It will come to resolution at exactly 11:11 am GMT. (greatdreams.com/2012.htm)

When you enter the Cineplex for a movie like 2012, you know what you signed up for: an intense rollercoaster ride. It was Friday Evening when I and two of my other classmates planned and watched 2012 at the Sta. Lucia Mall. It was actually my first time to watch a movie on its first day, and it’s a jam-packed filled
cinema. The start of the show is 6:40 pm and we ask if we can enter even if we’ll not start the movie. As we enter the cinema, the mood is serious, though we bought tickets for premiere; we end up sitting on the deluxe due to the massive amount of people watching.

I would not share the movie synopsis because you can search it, and maybe you’ll find it yourself. All that I can share is my reaction about the movie. The actors, animation, production was all good. It was like, I was in the movie, and they made me feel that I am a part of the story. Everything was fantastic. I was like telling them what to do, while knowing that they can hear me, but I am shouting them to do this or that. I was fully captivated by the greatness of the movie, by watching it, you can see the efforts of the staffs in making that movie a great one and you can conclude that they were all great from the director to the camera mans, everything was extraordinary.


Since I have my praises for the movie, here comes my critic. The only thing that I’ve noticed was the usual flow of the story. Since the start of the movie, I have predicted that the family of Jackson will be saved. And the typical thing that they were escaping death though it’s obvious that they are making sure to it that they will not die for on the many things that happened, the breaking of road, the unexpected falling of buildings, the explosion of this and things alike, they were still saved. I don’t know if it’s really their fate or it’s just an unexpected thing. Lastly is the titanic experience, you can see to it that they are trying to clone the titanic event. When Rose is trying to save Jack from the jail, the flood and everything was the same, it’s just that they alter some part of it.

Maybe I entered 2012 not just for the thrill ride, maybe not even for that much-vaunted Mayan prediction (which the movie’s plot skewers with some scientific miscalculations). Maybe I plunked down some hard-earned money because deep down, I felt that the world really is messed up, that the seas will rise and swallow up everything, that our planet is up for some overdue purging. In that case, better to let God's will be done and have the paranoid fantasies realized within the safe confines of the theater seat. Because the alternative would just be too intense. To conclude, I would like to give this movie 3 out of 5 stars for an almost job well done.

"The moment we still fight each other is the moment we lost our humanity"

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS

1 Response to "2012 experience and movie review"

  1. Mushy says:
    Nov 17, 2009, 7:01:00 PM

    So critic ka na pala ngaun? :))

Post a Comment